Friday, February 27, 2009

Media post #4

Advertising affects everyone, more than we think. Even though it does not always make us want to jump up and go buy the product, it can often put the thought of the product or the company in out heads without us even knowing. There are signs we read as we drive down the road or walk through the mall, commercials with jingles that we hear on the radio while driving in the car, and posters with slogans we see in the mall, and everywhere else. Advertising is anywhere that it can possibly be put.

Slogans and jingles are an excellent way to get your message across and into peoples' heads. By creating a catch phrase and repeating it on the TV or radio, it gets stuck in people's heads. Very often you hear people singing songs like the "Mini Wheats" song, which constantly gets stuck in everyone's heads. Attaching a slogan to a product is also an excellent way to get people thinking about it. When someone hears "Maybe she was born with it," they are automatically going to think of Mabelline cosmetics.

When we did the matching activity in class, there were quite a few slogans and jingles that I knew that just kind of came to mind. I had no idea what they were until my mind was triggered by the slogan. I could picture the commercials and I realised how easily things can get stuck into my head without me even realizing. Even after hearing something only a couple of times, or being introduced to something I hadn'e heard in years, the slogan triggers a memory of the ad and the product itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment